A major aim of Kingston Race and Equalities Council is to promote good relations between persons of different racial groups. By organising the Annual Kingston Carnival, we raise awareness of diverse cultures by bringing together different local communities to experience a range of music & culture and food, in a family friendly Carnival atmosphere. This event enables facilitation, interaction and engagement with all and is inclusive for everyone across the Borough and for our wonderful visitors.
- To use Kingston Carnival through collaborative partnerships and artistically as a catalyst to facilitate engagement, cohesion, integration, development of talent, artistic excellence, empowerment, innovation, education and entertainment
- To provide a platform for minority community artists and art forms incorporating both established and up and coming talent
- To enable people to have a better understanding and appreciation and bringing carnival arts, reggae, soca, calypso and samba to the widest possible audience
- To build on partner relationships to ensure that Carnival builds on previous achievements and strengthens its credibility and supporter base
- To offer free, participative opportunities to audiences to deepen engagement
- To signpost access to artistes, art forms and ongoing developmental opportunities
To bring communities together by fostering the promotion of diverse cultures, creative development and enhancement of artistic excellence, by positively promoting Kingston and its surrounding areas through Carnival celebratory activities locally and within the region.
Kingston Carnival 2019 theme is to promote unity within communities by celebrating the various cultures which exist and live happily together. It will be used to also positively promote the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames as a place to live, come and enjoy all the facilities and have fun and will also have a “Green Zone” showcasing environmental issues and sustainability.
Kingston Carnival 2019 is on Sunday 1st September. It starts at 12 noon and everyone is invited to join in the procession and all aspects of the festival.